"...in a time lacking in truth and uncertainty and filled with anquish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attemping to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart." Louise Bogan, American Poet 1897-1970

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hexies!!

     One block I have always wanted to make is the hexagon. Today I did, but not the traditional way of English paper piecing and sewing all those beautiful, tiny little hexies together by hand. I found a new way to do them in the Autumn 2011 issue of Quilter's How-to Workshop by McCall's Quilting. It is a wonderful pattern by Sandy Klop that has you piecing triangles together to make the hexagons. You start by sewing two 2 1/2" x WOF strips together and then use a triangle ruler to cut the triangles out from these strips. Each strip will give you two complete hexies, plus two left-over triangles. 


     You only make half of the hexie. They get sewn together when you sew the rows together.


    
     This is the neatest thing to me since sliced bread.  I can add this pattern to my Happy Thought list. I'm thinking these could become a Mug Rug. Oh my. Be still my brain.
     May you find something that you can add to your Happy Thought list.
     Blessings on your weekend.  Deb

1 comment:

  1. A hexie quilt without actually making a single hexie - awesome! I love geometry! I'm such a geek sometimes. LOL!

    ReplyDelete