"...in a time lacking in truth and uncertainty and filled with anquish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attemping to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart." Louise Bogan, American Poet 1897-1970

Monday, January 25, 2021

Something New For Me

 Welcome and blessings!

I'm trying something new today. I've never made a Dresden plate and after watching this video I decided to try one. Jenny makes it look so easy. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy_p4pryE4

(I'm so sorry. I tried several times to link to this YouTube tutorial, but just couldn't make it work. You will have to copy and paste it into your browser to watch. Again, I'm so sorry.)

The layout: 




Pinned to the background:



I know I got the center on a little crooked, but I can live with it. It's not off enough that I want to take it off and sew it back it on again with these old eyes. Hard enough the first time. :) 

I'm not sure if I want to sew the blades on by hand or machine, though. I'm leaning toward machine. Any thoughts on this? Would love you to let me know. 

Would I make another Dresden Plate? Yes, I would. The chain piecing that Jenny showed in the video made it fast to complete and I thought it was a fun project. I don't know if I would make a whole quilt of Dresden Plates, but maybe a table runner or wall hanging. I might make four squares with the same Colorful Cats charm pack and turn them into a wall hanging. This charm pack also came with 4 squares with bee hives on them and I have a jelly roll of bee fabrics that would go perfectly with this charm pack. 

Hmmmm. Stay tuned. :) 

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Quilting!

Deborah


2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I love the fussy-cut cat in the middle, of course :-)

    I've never made a Dresden plate before, but I keep thinking I should try one. I agree with you that a whole quilt of them would be a bit much, but I saw a really cool wall-hanging that just had a couple of them in sunflower colours, with leaves and stems added - that would be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I plan to make a wall hanging with four of them. Maybe a french braid border? They really are fun to make.

      Delete